Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Fishergate bollards claim a front bumper 779 views
- Teenager arrested after Cadley Causeway stabbing 640 views
- Preston North End to give youngster spare Beckford signed shirt plus a stadium tour 573 views
- Watch: Man wanted by police after kicking open door of student flats 436 views
- Preston school plan for London Road site is resubmitted 407 views
- Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures (Part 5)10 comments
- Fishergate bollards claim a front bumper3 comments
- Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures (Part 4)6 comments
- Preston city centre approval rating grows in latest survey2 comments
- Preston park playgrounds to go smokefree3 comments